Foraged Nettle Smoothie
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 small banana or 1/2 of a large banana
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 cup of blanched stinging nettle leaves
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 avocado
1. Prepare the nettles
Harvest the nettle plants carefully with gloved hands. Collect the nettles with tongs and put them into the boiling water. Stir around and boil for 2 minutes for dwarf nettles and about 4 minutes for common nettles. Remove them with tongs and immediately immerse them into a big bowl with ice water.
See Harvesting Nettle's post for more information.
2. Add coconut milk, nettle leaves, banana, pineapple, cucumber, and avocado, blend till smooth
- You can reduce the calorie count using light coconut milk (homemade coconut milk is usually much lighter). You can also use less pineapple and more cucumber.
- Nettle plants will become fibrous when they flower, so it's best to choose young plants. Smaller, younger plants are sweeter and more tender. I usually only choose the top leaves of nettle plants before they flower and remove all large stems.
- You can substitute pineapple for any fruit you like (Strawberry, Mango, Raspberries, etc.)